Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Avatar

Lots of fuss was made about this one and unfortunately I didnt get to watch on the big screen although after it won the oscars, I duly added it to my queue.

I can see how this would have been visually stunning experience if watched in the cinema and it is very creative in terms of how they showcased 'Pandora' the planet where the action takes place.

Basic storyline is probably familiar - The humans (Mercenaries) led by Colonel Quatrich basically want to pillage Pandora for its natural resources.An injured marine (Sam worthington) who is supposed to be on the side of the marines (hoo-ra) takes over an avatar of the alien race to integrate and learn about the native people. At first he is shunned but eventually he wins their trust, falls in love with a blue 'Navi' female and is integrated into the tribe and helps defeat the evil human invaders.

I liked the movie even it was a little bit long. I thought that Worthington was a bit wooden, although should have expected that after Terminator Salvation performance.Signourney weaver and Joel Moore (of Fox's Bones) were solid. The last 15 minutes however was a bit over the top/ridiculous (even in the spirit of the movie which itself is fairly out there) and altogether the movie was a bit predictable and borrowed a bunch of cliched scenes from other movies. Overall 8/10 and it might have got an extra point in the theatre.

ps.It was certainly better than Surrogates which has a loosely related theme with people taking over other bodies.



No comments: